I’m the Tamamamma

Monday, April 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Daniel




My little brother Daniel would have been 26 tomorrow. It's still weird to think that he is really gone. Anyway, I have just been thinking more about him lately and especially about my parents who have gone through so much with the loss of their son. This picture was taken at his wedding in 2005--he was dancing with my youngest. Let me tell you--I am soooo grateful that I made the sacrifices to be there for that. It's nice to have those good memories.

Here is a fantastic poem that I first read when I was home for his funeral. This is inspirational for anyone, whether you have lost someone or not.

The Dash

I read of a man who stood to speak at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone from the beginning...to the end.
He noted that first came the date of her birth and spoke of the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all was the dash between those years.
For that dash represents all the time that she spent alive on earth...
and now only those who loved her know what that little line is worth.
For it matters not, how much we own;
the cars....the house...the cash.
What matters is how we live and love and how we spend our dash.
So think about this long and hard...are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left. (You could be at "dash midrange.")
If we could just slow down enough to consider what's true and real,
and always try to understand the way other people feel.
And be less quick to anger, and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives like we've never loved before.
If we treat each other with respect, and more often wear a smile...
remembering that this special dash might only last a little while.
So, when your eulogy's being read with your life's actions to rehash...
would you be proud of the things they say about how you spent your dash?


Author Linda Ellis


On a lighter note, this is spring break for my kids. They have the whole entire week off. It's nice not having to get up to an alarm clock every morning! Today we met some friends at a place called Kangaroo Zoo. It's full of bouncy houses and slides. They played and we had pizza. They had a great time. This is a pic off of their website--didn't want you thinking these were my kids!

Here is something else that will make you smile:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember you going to his wedding and worring so much about it. I do not think I have ever seen a picture of him before. That is a sweet picture!

I am glad you found Kangaroo Zoo :)That place is pretty fun.

Unknown said...

I can't believe he is gone either.
Love to you!

Tina said...

Hi! You don't know me, but how did you make your header using shabbyprincess?