I’m the Tamamamma

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mmmmmm...Chicken Enchiladas

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com yesterday and it was so yummy that I decided to post it (I don't know about you, but I'm always looking for new recipes and I hate wasting my time on gross ones). I wish I had taken a picture, but I didn't, so I snagged their picture instead.

Cottage Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 package taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup diced onions
1 can chopped green chili peppers

1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups cottage cheese

2 cups shredded cheese

12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
1 can mild red enchilada sauce

The recipe said to boil the chicken, but I put them in the crock pot instead. I put in about a 1/2 cup of water and the packet of taco seasoning and let it cook. When it was done (timing depends on which setting you use on your crock pot) I shredded it.

Put some of the juices from the crock pot in a skillet. Add the onions and chilis and cook until the onions are tender. Remove from heat and add the shredded meat and enough juices to make the mixture nice and moist.

Combine your sour cream and cottage cheese in a separate bowl.

I tore the corn tortillas into pieces and covered the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan. I would have rolled them, but they always fall apart on me anyway (does anyone know the secret to rolling corn tortillas?). I topped the tortilla layer with the meat mixture. Next put on the sour cream/cottage cheese mixture. Add about 1/2 of your cheese on top of that. Tear up the rest of your tortillas and layer over the top. Pour on the enchilada sauce and top with more cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. YUM!

5 comments:

Kirsti said...

I also LOVE new yummy recipes. This one looks like a definite winner. Thanks for posting it!

Unknown said...

I love new recipes and especially mexican ones!! I will try it next week! :)

Kathryn said...

Tamara! This is enchilada casserole (but I've never done it with cottage cheese). My mother-in-law made it for Mark and his bro growing up. One of the chicklets favorites now. I'm gonna try it your way. Such a good idea to put the chicken in the crockpot!

Crowther family said...

I will have to try this. Thank you for sharing. I totally agree it is nice to have new recipes. Thank you again for all of your help.

Unknown said...

I have something for you over at my place :) Oh and I we are having this for dinner on Sunday :)