I’m the Tamamamma

Saturday, March 14, 2009

And She Scores! (At the Grocery Store)----Plus an "Award"

Maybe this is a seriously lame thing to blog about, but I'm gonna share anyway. I've been "couponing" for about 2 years now. It's a tad bit time consuming and sometimes I'm a few weeks behind in my clipping, but it's definitely worthwhile. Especially when you hit the sales/coupon combos just right and save a lot of money! I get five papers every sunday for about $16 a month. I found the deal here. I'm sure that I've saved at least that much on groceries each month, usually more, and sometimes a lot more. Here's the latest score that got me re-motivated to keep at it : )Three boxes of cereal, 10 boxes of fruit snacks, 10 boxes of granola bars, two cookie mixes, and three boxes of Dannon crush cups. I love saving on snacks especially, because they get eaten up quickly and every kid in the neighborhood helps us eat them. So here is the breakdown:

Cost before discounts: $94.65 (Sheesh!)

Manufacturer's coupons (from the paper): $23.05

InStore discounts/sales (automatic with store card): $30.27 They were running a sale where for every 10 participating items you bought, they gave a $5 discount--that helped a lot.

Savings: 57%--$53.32

I hid most of this stuff from the kids, because if they can see it all, it seems to disappear faster : )

After buying all of that stuff, I headed over to WalGreens to buy hair color. They were offering the $7 box for $6 and they had an instore coupon for $3 off. I paired that with the manufacturer's coupon for $2 off. That made them each $2. Yay!

Okay, so enough of the boring shopping news. My super cool friend Christina gave me a bloggy award:

Here are the rules for the award:
1. Choose a minimum of 7 blogs that you find brilliant in content or design.
2. Show the 7 winners names and links on your blog.
3. List at least 10 honest things about yourself.

Here we go with my "honesty" session:
1. I think I'm pretty lazy. I really enjoy sleep and I don't enjoy cleaning. I think my house is clean and basically looks ok, but there's almost always some clutter around.
2. I'd love to drop 10 pounds. I don't mind changing some eating habits to get there, but on the other hand, I don't want to be on a perpetual diet to achieve it either.
3. I love it when my kitty curls up next to me at night.
4. I think my kids are the cutest, most wonderful little people in the world. I could just stare at their faces all day long.
5. In high school my favorite bands were The Cure, Depeche Mode, and Information Society. In college, it was The Smiths/Morrissey
6. My husband totally cracks me up. I think it's one of his best qualities (among many).
7. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I feel guilty that I got a degree in Elementary Education and then realized that it didn't make me happy. Sometimes I think if I tried it again I might feel differently because it's been 9 years since I taught, but I don't know. I just don't know what my "thing" is, and the things I'd like to try would keep me away from my kids too much and I don't want that either. Oh, the confusion!
8. When I was really little, I wanted to marry a dog.
9. I would never trade back, but sometimes I miss the social life of college
10. I was always a one best friend type person---I think I was "cut out" for marriage in that way. I still miss my high school best friend (Debbie) and wish I could see her/talk to her more often.

And here are 7 blogs I love (it's ok if you don't want to play, I love you all anyway!)
1. Kellie @ Camp Run-a-Muk
2. Hollie @ The Traylor Park Blog
3. Kari @ Come What May and Love It
4. Hair Today (she just quit blogging, but if you've got girls there is a wealth of hair ideas here)
5. Tara @ Three Little Babelets
6. Sarah @ The Mundy Family
7. Karley @ The Simmons Family

Whenever I see that these people have posted, it makes me happy because I love to read what they've got to say. Thanks for entertaining me!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for playing!! I like to learn new stuff about my friends. :)

I have been debating if I want to get into couponing. Kind of my way of helping out with money stuff. Do you recommend it? Is it worth all the work? Big score on the food!!

kellie said...

I totally did couponing for a long time and I loved it!!! I would compete with my friend with who saved the most. It was fun. It was like you got this weird high every time you saved more than 50%. I miss it...but it IS a lot of work.

Okay, I am going to try to play, if I can get of FB long enough.

Tom and Misti Sherwood said...

I pay $5 a month and do dealstomeals.com. She is local and she compares 5 big grocery store adds each week to Costco and Walmart and tells you when stuff is the cheapest and how much to buy. She does a lot of food storage info and meal planning too. I love it. Check it out.