I’m the Tamamamma

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Zucchini, anyone?

I'm home sick with a cold today. Ugh. The kids are excited to set up a tent in the living room this evening. We're trying to find things to do together. I thought I'd let the girls bring in some things from the garden. Check out this zucchini!

I've already grated and frozen many bags of zucchini/squash to be used in breads and muffins thoughout the winter. My plants have done better than ever before!

The funny thing is, all of this produce (and lots before this pic was taken) came from a few plants I planted in April. I put these plants against my back fence and didn't do a thing to the soil to improve it. I guess we've got some good soil! On the other hand, a couple of summers ago I got interested in square foot gardening and put together a raised box in the back yard filled with the suggested mixture. Everything I've planted in that spot has pretty much sucked. Go figure! I've just let that plot totally go this year--I think next year I'll empty it and fill it with potting soil which might be more successful.

I have about 6 spaghetti squash ripening up out there too. Mmmmm. I discovered how much I like it when I was on the Southbeach Diet a couple of years ago. I just substitute it for noodles whenever we're having spaghetti for dinner. Good stuff.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! That is one big zucchini! Have fun making bread with all of it :)